Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Fourth Guest Piece on Prof. Juan Cole's Blog: "HAMAS' Rhetoric as Spoiler"

"There is no escape from the Torrent of Fire" (except maybe this way)

I'm excited to write that today I have a fourth guest piece on Informed Comment, the widely-read blog of Prof. Juan Cole of the University of Michigan's Department of History, who is a noted expert on the modern Middle East and South Asia, with a specialty in Shi'i Islam. The essay is entitled, "HAMAS' Rhetoric as Spoiler." The piece examines the group's late August and early September attacks on Israeli settlers near the cities of Hebron and Ramallah in the occupied West Bank. I analyze them, briefly, through a discussion of the U.S. government policy of sidelining/ignoring HAMAS in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

I suggest that HAMAS (Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiyya; "Islamic Resistance Movement") has little reason to act as anything but what it is at present, a spoiler in the ongoing negotiations. For the piece, I examined HAMAS' own statements about the attacks and its dialogue, usually mutually hostile, with its main rival, the Fatah party that dominates the Palestinian National Authority government.
________________________________

My first guest editorial, "The Islamic State of Iraq’s Positions on Iraqi National Elections: The Continuing Decline of a Self-styled Jihadi State," can be read HERE.

My second guest editorial, "The Death of a Caliph: Will the Reported Killings of the Islamic State of Iraq's Two Senior Leaders Spell the End of the Self-styled Jihadi State?", can be read HERE.

My third guest editorial, "From 'Martyrdom' Videos to Jihadi Journalism in Somalia," can be read HERE.

No comments: